Coco: This is a great recipe to experiment with. We mostly stuck to the general ingredients list, but used black beans instead of refried beans and included cream of mushroom soup and corn (oh and no olives). We ended up throwing in a hodge podge of canned foods like Rotel and it tasted yummy! The perfect meal for when you have not gone grocery shopping in awhile.
Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook | 1999
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons hot salsa
- 12 ounces uncooked lasagna noodles
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild salsa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Daisy Brand® Sour Cream
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped, optional
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans, chilies, taco seasoning and hot salsa.
In a greased 13×9-in. baking dish, layer a third of the noodles and meat mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers twice.
Combine mild salsa and water; pour over top. Cover and bake 1 hour or until heated through.
Top with sour cream, olives, onions, tomatoes if desired and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting.
1 serving: 521 calories, 28g fat (16g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 909mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.