Coco: This is my mom’s recipe for Cherry Dump Cake! We like to top ours with coconut and pecans. As well as doubling the cherry filling. I cannot even begin count the amount of times I have made it, let alone how many times my mom has made it. Everyone who tries it always asks for the recipe, and sometimes they end up bringing it to the next event.
- 1 can 20-ounce crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 can 21-ounce cherry pie filling
- 1 box 18.25-ounce yellow cake mix
- 2 sticks (1 cup or 16 Tablespoons) of butter or margarine, each cut into 12 slices
- 1 bag 7-ounce coconut, shredded
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (pecans, walnuts, macadamia, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, etc., your choice)
Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F for glass baking dish). Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
In the prepared baking pan, layer undrained crushed pineapple, then cherry pie filling. Sprinkle dry cake mix over the top, smoothing evenly and covering the top.
Cut butter into slices with a butter knife and place slices evenly over cake mix. Top with the coconut and nuts (optional).
Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until brown on top and bubbly.
Let cool 30 minutes. Serve warm or cooled.